Back in 2007, when iPhone wasn’t as widespread (u see iPhones everywhere! and yet most use it to play games??!!) like Ikea is in Singapore homes, it used to elicit cool remarks and wolf whistles like it was the coolest gadget on earth. But forward to 2010, it ain’t so bells and whistles no more. Here’s why…
- No flash (both for camera and for web surfing)
- Poor camera performance
- Poor phone call quality
- No multitasking
- It’s thick
- You can’t easily transfer data files, music, videos, any files like a plug n play hard disk (despite having 32Gb)
- You cannot sync data over wifi or bluetooth (Palm was able to do that like wayyy back in 2005!)
- The bluetooth function sucks (limited bluetooth)
- no SDHC/microSDHC expansion slot to add to it
- No second camera for video calling
- iTunes tie: media content locked to specific computer, no simple drag & drop way to add files
- Limited codec support excludes likes of Ogg Vorbis audio and – crucially – AVI video so lengthy format conversion required with third party software
- Non-removeable battery so it can’t be swapped out on long journeys & requires expensive procedure to replace at an Apple store should it degrade outside the warranty
The only good thing I like about iPhone is the power of the apps…but by the virtue of being popular, there’s lots of support for the iPhone hence the numerous amount of apps available.
I’ve got an iPod Touch which is awesome except for the reasons stated above. It’s so so dumb having data files and a hard disk and not being able to use it!!
Given some time, i believe there will be more apps for the WebOS, Android, and the Blackberry to level the playing field.